The MHA Chiks healthcare team looks after more than 100 GP practices and provide expert advice on a number of areas in the sector.
Our GP clients include GMS, PMS and APMS, single-handers and large partnerships, dispensing practices and a number of their related businesses such as federations, independent provider organisations and other limited companies providing a variety of NHS and non-NHS services. We offer specialist advice on a number of accountancy and business advisory services and have launched the innovative GP+ app.
The healthcare services teams are headed up by partner Deborah Wood based at our Blackpool office. Deborah was instrumental in setting up the Association of Independent Specialist Medical Accountants (AISMA) in 1995. This network of independent accountancy firms throughout the UK specialises in services to the medical profession. Deborah is also a regular presenter to the sector and has written a number of articles for many of the trade publications.
The East Midlands office is headed up by Nick Stevenson who looks after a wide variety of clients. He has a strong background in medical service clients, including looking after over 100 individual GP’s and over 25 practices, over 40 hospital consultants and GP locums, and a total client list of over 300. Nick is currently the head of the MHA healthcare sector group, an association of eight independent accountancy firms across the UK, and the ICAEW SIG committee. He has particular responsibility for liaising with NHS Employers, local LMC’s and the Health & Social Care Information Centre. Nick is also involved in the Primary Care Development Centre for Nottingham and Derbyshire where he provides support and training to local primary care providers. He regularly presents at events on an array of topics including maximising practice profitability, strategic planning and tax considerations.
As part of our approach, our clients have access to a range of specialist ‘beyond compliance’ services, as well as receiving information via newsletters, blogs and special publications. We also hold regular events and training sessions throughout the year which our clients can attend free of charge. For further information about our services please look at our healthcare credentials document.
Primary Care Networks (PCN) and how MHA Chiks can help
As specialist healthcare accountants led by an experienced team our knowledge can assist you with the complexities of your Primary Care Network (PCN). We can support you with:
- Review and advice on the financial aspects of your PCN agreement
- Advice on your PCN structure considering the long-term strategy over the 5-year contract plan
- Assist with set up of tailored cloud accounting book-keeping software to manage the PCN funding through the nominated payee bank account
- Prepare an annual statement of the transactions to enable the correct figures to be allocated into the member practice partnership accounts
- Provide personal tax and pension advice in respect of the role of the PCN clinical director including assessment of the different ways the role can be paid for
- Advice on the VAT implications of transactions across the PCN, review cost sharing group provisions and help meet HMRC requirements to ensure the PCN operates within the VAT rules
- Advice in respect of staff employed by the PCN or hosted by a PCN member on their eligibility for access to the NHS pension scheme
- Liaison with specialist healthcare solicitors who can prepare and update the PCN agreements and manage the restructuring that might be needed with respect to Federation involvement or PCN companies
We have significant experience in working with GP Practices, Federations and Practice mergers so please do get in touch if you would like an initial conversation to see how we may be able to assist you. Here is a testimonial from a healthcare contact we have been working with closely:
“I am working with Debbie on a number of PCNs and she knows this stuff inside out!”
Flexible Benefits Schemes
Flexible benefits packages are an attractive option for employees and employers. They can result in savings in national insurance and/or tax and leave everyone better off – well, everyone except the tax man!
What our clients say about us…
“I found the specialist expertise in medical accountancy invaluable. The service my medical practice has received has been responsive and tailored to our individual needs. The team have provided good advice for future planning and have kept us up to date with financial matters.”